Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Music, Music, Music?

Maybe my senses cry out for solitude more after a trip to Las Vegas. Maybe I notice it when I'm in the silence of my home office. Maybe it's following me around and your experience is different. To what am I referring? Music.

Is it just me, or has the world been set to music? It's in every store everywhere. It's in the airport, the elevator, the restaurant, and yes, there is music in the restroom. Most television shows, especially the dramas, have a musical background/white noise thing going on. Without a doubt, I could walk into a room blindfolded and tell you that Law and Order SVU is on just from hearing the music (that repetitious, impending drama piece).

Don't get me wrong, I love music. I grew up with Elvis, Mozart, John, Paul, Ringo and George. Rock, Blues, Jazz, Classical, are all in my repertoire of musical tastes. I've even been known to hum a Broadway musical on occasion (Carousel is my favorite). I played in the marching band, the symphony orchestra and a small rockish band. I studied at the National Music Camp in Interlochen. But, with the exception of things like, oxygen for example, isn't there a time and place for everything?

As an old school runner, I never really got into the whole listen-to-music-while-you-run thing. I feel fortunate. My running is my solitude, my creative time and space. But how soon before The National Association For Pumping Music Everywhere (yes, that's the NAFPME) installs speakers on the trail? 

Is it Verizon? Please enjoy the music while your life is being lead. Are the Beatles sending me subliminal messages? I buried Paul. Is there some governmental directive to infiltrate my mind with tunes? One for you, nineteen for me.

Whatever or whomever it is, more than the hills are alive, with the Sound of Music. It is the real reason for noise canceling headphones.

Peace. Please....... Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment